... CORNWALL ...
PADSTOW - Circular route via Trevone
|Distance|| - ||About 7 miles|
|Start point|| - ||Padstow Harbour (OS Ref. SW019755)|
|Date walked|| - ||Thursday 17 April 2003|
|Weather|| - ||Very hot and sunny. Gentle westerly breeze. Temp about 25° C|
|Conditions|| - ||Usual cliff paths, some fields and roads.|
|Notes|| - ||A similar walk is described in Around Padstow by Bob Acton|
- Start from the north side of Padstow Harbour, past the Shipwrights public house, then ascend the tarmac path adjacent to the public toilets at the signs "To Lower Beach" and "Coast Path".
- Go through the metal gate into the park and continue ahead on the tarmac path towards the war memorial. Pass the memorial at St. Saviour's Point and continue downwards.
- Keep on the main path, skirting the cliff and ignoring smaller paths that lead down to the beach. This part of the route is on National Trust land and is marked with wooden posts with an acorn symbol and a yellow directional arrow.
- The path levels off at Gun Point to run at the back of the beach along Harbour Cove, crossing a stile along the way. The path eventually ducks into a field over a stile then skirts the right hand edge. Continue along the same line in the next field then drop down onto a track onto which turn right then immediately left, crossing a footbridge to a copse. Cross a wooden stile and turn right into the field to skirt the edge.
- Leave the field to the right over a stile and descend some steps into a copse. Cross a footbridge, go straight over a track and up some steps then through another copse on a dirt path. The path rises to open ground with a small estuary on the right hand side. Cross a stile then follow the path along the coastline.
- Pass a former boathouse and cross a stile, pass between hedges then up some steps onto a road. Turn right to follow downhill on the road for a short way, leaving to the right down some steps between houses. Ascend a few more steps onto a tarmac track behind a terrace of cottages, leaving through a kissing gate.
- Continue on the coastal path, downward between hedges initially, then opening up and ascending. Through a kissing gate, pass the Coastguard lookout station on the way to the summit.
- Cross a stile then proceed downhill, pass through the gap of two stone walls before arriving at a tower. Bear right and aim for the marker post then pass a swallow hole near the cliff edge. Pass through the gap in a stone wall and continue to follow the cliff top, passing through a kissing gate and crossing a stone stile on the way.
- Go through another kissing gate at the summit then over a stone stile, keeping to the coast line, then taking a steep descent followed by a steep ascent. then bear away right over a stone stile followed by a footbridge over a gulley.
- Cross a wall via a stone stile then pass another swallow hole on the descent of Roundhole Point to the cove at Trevone Bay, crossing another stone stile near the bottom then descending steps down to the car park.
- Leave the car park via the road and continue upwards, past the first junction, and passing St Saviour's church up to a junction at the first sharp bend. Take the left-hand track at the signpost Public Footpath by Homeleigh, passing between houses up to a kissing gate.
- Bear slightly left over the field and cross a stile then head upwards towards the buildings in view, crossing another stile into the next field. Cross into the next field by a slate bridge over a stream then pass under electric cables on the way to the right hand side of the barn.
- Go through the stone gateposts, cross the yard and leave on the right hand side. Follow the track behind the cottage then cross a stile at the end and continue along the right side of the field, crossing the last narrow section to leave over a stile. Cross the next two fields, separated by a stile then exit through a gate and bear right along the lane.
- At the crossroads, turn right as signposted to Padstow then immediately left between a garage and barn to cross a stile and continue diagonally across a field, bearing towards an electricity pole. Pass through a gap in the hedge and cross a stile over a stream and turn right into a lane.
- At the end of the lane, turn left by Prideaux Place, continue into Church Street and thence down to Padstow Harbour.
Return to the top of the page.
Return to the Walks Page.