... DORSET ...
CRANBORNE - Circular route from Cranborne via Monkton Up Wimborne
|Distance|| - ||A little over 6 miles|
|Start point|| - ||The Public Car Park in Water Street (OS Ref. SU057148)|
|Date walked|| - ||Friday 5 May 2000|
|Weather|| - ||Sunny and warm|
|Notes|| - ||A walk covering part of the same route is described in the Ordnance Survey Pathfinder Guide Dorset Walks|
| - ||I have listed some of the flora and fauna seen on this walk.|
- The walk follows the route of The Jubilee Trail and The Hardy Way for the first part.
- From the car park, cross Crane Street in front of the fire station into The Square. Pass the Sheaf of Arrows public house then follow Swan Street to the end where, on the right, a short driveway leads to the right of the river Crane.
- Cross the stile then shortly afterwards go through a kissing gate thereafter keeping to the left-hand side of the field, passing Cranborne House on the left before rejoing the river.
- After about 60 yards, cross the concrete footbridge to the other side of the river then keep to the left of the field to a kissing gate with stile alongside.
- Cross the field ahead in a straight line, crossing a farm track with stile each side, then continue on the same line through the next field on the road. Turn right and follow the road past Creech Hill House to the road junction (Sixpenny Handley right, Wimborne St Giles left).
- Over the road cross the stile and turn left to follow the line of the road until reaching a barn at which turn right along a grass strip between fields.
- The route meets a drove at which turn left below the overhead electric cables. At the end turn right into Ringwood Lane which has a gentle upgrade until levelling briefly where the electric cables pass over before rising again to the road.
- Cross Bottlebush Lane and continue upward as the roofs and chimneys of houses at Wimborne St Giles come into view. The track levells then starts to descend as entering a copse of mixed trees. Pass an old pit on the right-hand side after which the track becomes sunken with banks each side before exiting onto the gravel track to North Barn Farm.
- Turn left to the end of the track then cross the stile on the right and bear left and ascend a short escarpment to a stile into scrub woodland at the top.
- Through the scrub there is a short drop to the left down to the road with the river Allen beyond.
- Leave the scrub woodland over a stile then keep to the right of the field which is the higher side. Pass behing a couple of barns after which bear half-left to the hedge on the opposite side of the field, leaving over the stile onto the road.
- Turn right along the road towards Monkton Up Wimborne. Round a prolonged left-hand sweep of the road, and before reaching Manor Farm, take the chalky track on the right which is Monkton Drove. At this point The Jubilee Trail and The Hardy Way continue along the road.
- The drove rises steadily with thorn hedges each side then as it levels off there are fine views to the left of the Dorset countryside. The drove later widens out as it wends down to a woodland plantation comprising beech on the right and fir on the left.
- At the metal gate through the woodland turn right along a short track to join the Cranborne to Sixpenny Handley road. Take care of the fast moving traffic. After about ¼ mile the road as straightens out, cross to the other side at the bridleway sign then go through the pedestrian gate on the right.
- Follow the fence on the left of the field running level before descending to a further pedestrian gate beyond which the track passes through pasture with woodland up to the right and the river Crane down to the left.
- Gradually converge on the river until reaching a pedestrian gate leading onto a farm track. Turn left and ford the river.
- Pass to the left of the cattle sheds, cross a stile to the left of metal gates then follow the track to the top of the rise. Turn right at the field through a gate taking a short path behind a silage pit to another gate to a gravel track. At this point the walk rejoins The Jubilee Trail.
- Turn right down towards the Cranborne Farm then bear left at the buildings to merge with a tarmac road. The road is level and follows overhead electric cables on the right.
- The road comes close to the river then passes a cottage and some barns on the left-hand side. Ignore the road turning to the right over the bridge and continue ahead, skirting round to the left of the house ahead.
- Just past the house, go through the metal gate and follow ahead as it sweeps down and left, passing Cranborne House on the right-hand side, before reaching a wooden gate to a track between the houses.
- On reaching Salisbury Street, turn right to The Square thence crossing Crane Street back into Water Street.
Return to the top of the page.
Return to the Walks Page.